Saturday, September 18, 2010

Into the rabbit hole

So. Friday I left for college orientation. Set up my room, which is actually fairly nice, especially compared to a few of my friends' dorm rooms, and met a few new people. We don't officially start classes until next wednesday, but until then they have plenty of scheduled activities for us- some required and some not. I'm hoping once classes start, i can get a chance to meet a bunch of new people.

Being so close to home, there's going to be a few people i know of course. I've met up with some old school and symphony friends here, and we've been having fun. I just really want things to start picking up the pace though! Haha although it's only been a day...

I miss everyone at home a lot. Having all of these mostly new people around seems kind of foreign and sometimes i find myself longing for the familiarity of friends and family. Those with whom i know what to discuss, with whom i can laugh endlessly with, with whom I feel at home. I look at my class schedule and see this giant blank gap from Friday at 10am until Monday at 9, and i'm compelled to plan trips back home, even though i know i need to stay here and explore the area and the people. I've already planned some weekends i'll be back for certain events here and there, but i'm going to try and do my best to stay east of the mountains the rest of the time...

I've been getting pretty nervous about auditions for Orchestra. Our auditions are on Wednesday, but while most of the students have had since the end of august to prepare, the orchestra teacher didn't include me in the list.... So i've only had the music for about a week now. He has us playing a bunch of different sections from Beethoven's 5th symphony, one that's far overplayed in my opinion... at least the first movement.

Anyway, this has been a rambling post. I promise something more interesting next time.... maybe
Now to practice and mingle!

No comments: